Superior Safety Wrench System (SSWS)
The Superior Safety Wrench System (SSWS) is part of the next generation of union products aimed at eliminating the use of sledge hammers in the makeup and break-out of high-pressure, temporary flowline connections. The SSWS is also a more adaptable, accurate and cost-saving option for both land and offshore operations.
Use of the SSWS will not only improve efficiency, but improve safety ratings for users. The SSWS is revolutionary to the oil and gas industry because it eliminates the risks and dangers of sledgehammer use, such as injuries from swinging sledgehammers using poor form, holding a target while it is being hammered, releasing sledgehammers midswing, and fragmenting due to a worn out sledgehammers or targets.The development of such a tool demonstrates Superior’s dedication to cultivating a safety-minded culture for the benefit of the industry.
The SSWS has been thoroughly tested internally with input from major oil and gas companies. The testing process included 1”, 2”, 3” and 4” 1502 union components torqued with SSWS, then pressure tested to Cold Working Pressure (CWP) for qualification. Wellsite testing was performed using 2” 1502 components torqued with SSWS, then pumped 7BBL of fluid at 3000psi over three days of testing resulting in passed tests with no leakage. Extensive, external field tests were conducted on 2”- 4” unions. The SSWS passed all tests.
- Composed of two main parts: a heavy-duty, aluminum, wrench-style head and a quick-latch, adjustable, torque-assist device.
- The wrench-head adapts to any 1”, 2”, 3” and 4” wing union – no matter the condition.
- The wrench-style design provides efficiency in make-up and break-out applications due to the even distribution of the impact load on all three union lugs.
- The wrench-head design allows for even torque on all three lugs of a wing union allowing the union to seal properly.
- The SSWS’ innovative handle design provides a quick-latch, extendable
feature — 14” to 22” in length — allowing the user to adjust the length of the handle based on the space available and the torque necessary.
- The SSWS provides an efficient, adaptable, and safe alternative in making-up and breaking-out 1502 connections.